Day 6: September 18, 2007 Tuesday

Trip to Blarney Castle

We overslept and missed the breakfast at the hotel, so we ate on the road (not literally). Today we went to Blarney Castle. The drive to all Irish sights is truly beautiful. Brenda took numerous pictures and with my prodding, many, many more. We climbed to the top of the castle, which was similar to Bunratty Castle. The climb is a feat in itself on narrow, winding, circular half-steps. I’m surprised that they don’t have accidents or falls.
While there we saw the Great Hall, dungeon, murder room, knight’s quarters, the Chapel and Priest’s room. I thought I wouldn’t make it, but with perseverance and rest along the way I made it to the top.
The Blarney Stone is situated at the top. There was a grate to keep you from falling through as you were suspended upside down and it was scary, but I did kiss the stone and, of course, instantly became more eloquent in my speech to which my writing can attest. Ha ha.
What a thrill to be able to view the entire countryside. We toured the area around the castle, shops and churches, graveyards, cottages with thatched roofs, parks, woodlands…etc. No words can describe the experience.
Outside the castle I found the most fabulous flowers. I took some cuttings and made an arrangement out of them at the hotel to adorn our bathroom.
We went back to the hotel and had a light supper at the nearby restaurant. Later I watched TV and slept like a bear. I had a woven wool blanket that I would have liked to have purchased.

0 comments: